Jason,

very interesting reading. I'll have to go through that a few more times
though ;-)

If anybody is interested, I ended up coding the whole Kakuro solver in
Python 3. It will take 0.1 seconds (measured on my not-so-recent laptop)
for a regular 9x9 puzzle, or 0.5 seconds for the one I included in the
source code, classified "diabolical". Most of the time is actually spend in
deepcopy() so you can probably get a big speedup if you create a specific
deepcopy() function.

Given the fact that I need minutes to enter the puzzle in text format, this
was good enough and I stopped optimisations right there.

I ran it with pypy3 which also features a JIT compiler. The execution times
were worse than with stock CPython for obvious reasons.

The code is available at https://github.com/uselpa/kakuro-solver.

Thanks to all of you for your feedback! An awesome community is what makes
an excellent language a great language.

Regards,
Patrick