Thanks, that's pretty much my understanding. Scaling the inputs seems to be
important, too, from what I read. I'm also interested in a framework that
will trim off redundant inputs.

I have run the mocha tutorial examples, and it looks very promising because
the structure is clear, and there are C++ and cuda backends. The C++
backend, with openmp, gives me a good performance boost over the pure Julia
backend. However, I'm not so sure that it will allow for trimming redundant
inputs. Also, I have some ideas on how to restrict the net to remove
observationally equivalent configurations, which should aid in training,
and I don't think I could implement those ideas with mocha.

>From what I see, the focus of much recent work in neural nets seems to be
on classification and labeling of images, and regression examples using the
modern tools seem to be scarce. I'm wondering if that's because other tools
work better for regression, or simply because it's an old problem that is
considered to be well studied. I would like to see some examples of
regression nets that work well, using the modern tools, though, if there
are any out there.