I think a lot of what you're looking for already exists.  It's just that
things like "run a regression according to variable names" wouldn't belong
in base Julia.  If you haven't already, I'd take a look at StatsBase.jl,
DataFrames.jl, and GLM.jl.

http://dataframesjl.readthedocs.org/en/latest/io.html#importing-data-from-tabular-data-files
https://github.com/JuliaStats/GLM.jl