Hi I am new to Julia and trying to pre-compile modules with the userimg.jl
file, to speed up loading. There are instructions of various dates around
online. But none seem complete.

I am looking for step-by-step instructions on setting this up in OSX. I
think that would be helpful for a good number of people.

In the Documentation it says "To create a custom system image that can be
used to start julia with the -J option, recompile Julia after modifying the
file base/userimg.jl to require the desired modules."
So I went into base/ and created a file, userimg.jl, that looks like this

Base.require("Gadfly")
Base.require("DataFrames")
Base.require("PyPlot")

Now I don't know what I would enter in the terminal to recompile Julia
itself.

Also, once it works, will I be able to start julia with the -J option if I
am using Jupyter notebook?