On Friday, March 18, 2016 at 4:39:38 PM UTC, Tony Kelman wrote:

> No Julia packages are distributed by default, only the Julia code included
> in Base.
>
> libgit2 is only used on julia master, command line git is included and
> used on  julia 0.4 and earlier versions.

I found:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19822627/encryption-in-or-used-by-libgit2-and-libgit2sharp-export-control-classification

"libgit2 doesn't itself do encryption. It relies on openssl and libssh to
do this, but as open-source projects, they don't require ECCN's either."

But also in comments:
"It does have a SHA-1 implementation in src/hash/hash_generic.c as a
fall-back in case it doesn't link against OpenSSL (but those cases would be
rare)"

I'm not sure if SHA-1 is a problem. I assume git to be similar to libgit2.
On Linux, Julia would need no crypto, "outsourcing" to [lib]git[2], that
would also outsource to the system software/OS.

On Windows, it seems to me (from the download function), that Windows also
has crypto, and Julia wouldn't need to have.

Strictly speaking, if git has [fallback] crypto then Julia would be
distributing as a dependency. I'm not sure how easy it is to access for
other uses from Julia. Julia allows with ccall to use libraries, could you
do that way? At least in theory I think you can..

--
Palli.