On Tue, Apr 05 2016, Páll Haraldsson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm convinced Julia is the best second language to learn. Maybe, first, if
> tutorials or books are ok, for the right project. What about libraries,
> what would you recommend?

It is hard to recommend libraries in abstract, without knowing the
project you have in mind.

> I try to be cautions when I recommend Julia. Julia should be ok as a first*
> language, with a mentor.
>
> This seemed like a good book for JavaScript:
>
> https://pragprog.com/book/csjava/3d-game-programming-for-kids
>
> that I gave to a 10 year-old. I could look into how ThreeJS, just as a
> library, fits with the concepts they teach. Any other ideas, that are
> appropriate for Julia?
>
> * I know about Scratch and Alice. But for slightly older kids, Julia seems
> better than JavaScript, as a *language*.

I don't see how this is on-topic for this mailing list.

http://julialang.org/teaching/

> Seems only a MATLAB replacement, not yet be there as a first
> language. It should be..

"First" language for which group? For CS students who need to learn
about concepts, Julia has a lot of features (and thus complexity) that
is simply not needed would be a distraction in a first language. On the
other end of the spectrum, for students who just need to do basic data
analysis (with R or Python), the current Julia framework is evolving and
not as polished as it would be eventually.

Are you teaching a course somewhere? Perhaps if you explained about the
target audience and the topic, you could get more specific
advice. But it is hard to imagine a scenario where Julia would be a good
first language in its current state.

Best,

Tamas