Its hard to construct a MWE without the data I am using, but I can give a
bit more detail.

There are 20 workers and about 4200 elements in lst, so using your
terminology, I've got many more tasks than workers.  If lst were sorted by
complexity (its not, I randomized the order), the complexity of item i is
roughly cubic in i.