I thought for like one year that plotting was bugged/broken in Julia
because of this. I only understood the current behavior while reading a
github issue.

One issue with the doc is that there's not a centralized one since plotting
is done via so many different packages (it's not an issue specific to
Plots). It's not super clear where this information
should be.

>There are too many scenarios where a gui window is not what you want...
Writing to a png, inline plotting in IJulia, etc

The issue with these kind of statements is that without a way to measure
what people actually do, they are not very useful. For all we know
90% of the actual use case could be that the user want a plot to display.
That said I don't mind the current behavior that much.