Hi Tom, thanks for the reply, and just to be clear, I love your work on
Plots, not trying to complain, just discussing a long-term usability point.

I don't fully understand the mechanisms under the covers that open a UI
window. This is via Electron I presume?

You're certainly correct that a UI window popping up in an IJulia context
would constitute very unexpected behavior.

But is there no way to distinguish between plotting to a file vs. plotting
within an IJulia context. vs. REPL vs. command line execution (which might
best default to REPL behavior)?

It seems like plotting to a file would require a save-to-file argument, and
the difference between an IJulia context and otherwise could be detected.
 But I'm pretty new to this, so I don't know what is or isn't possible.

I also meant this question to address all such UI windows. For example,
with the Images module, I would hope for a consistent "standard" approach
across Julia packages, which is context aware. For example, I would hope
that both `view(myimage)` and `view(myimage);` from the ImageView module
would pop up a window in the REPL, and command line, and automatically
display in-line in IJulia (I think save-to-file isn't relevant in that
case).

After installing the ImageView, Image, and TestImage package, it does in
fact work in the REPL as I suggested, but unexpectedly pops up a UI window
in IJulia, so in that case the user gets the unexpected behavior that
you're commenting on. However even that is many times better than a silent
failure, as far as unexpected behavior goes. If there's a switch in there
to display inline in IJulia it's now clear to me that I need to go find it,
but with silent failure, troubleshooting is many times harder. And as
STAR0SS mentioned, it ends up feeling buggy to a an uninitiated user.

Dave