Just a couple of cents from a newbie. I come from Matlab as well and I
really love the way Julia works actually. There are many cases in Matlab
where I get plots when I don't really ask for them and I end up with slow
code and the need to close programmatically windows on the screen to avoid
to have it covered with stuff. I am not sure I can find an example right
now (I have few somewhere in my stuff) but functions like thd(), freqz()
and so on generate plots that I too often have to deal with. I prefer to be
able to programmatically decide whether or not display stuff instead to
work around a default that easily slows things down and makes code less
clean and harder to read, with "plotting correction" lines just in the
middle of the ones doing the actual computations... Just my preference.