Hello colleague,

On Wednesday, August 17, 2016 at 3:01:37 PM UTC+2, Oliver Schulz wrote:

> > unless they just became numbers to index into a global array somewhere
>
> I had assumed that this is basically what Symbols (being interned strings)
> are.

I might write something stupid here, but for me Symbols are constants at
compile time. So this "intered strings" behaviour is part of generating
code, not running it. I looked at a similar problem - strings as keys in
Dicts with frequent access - and think a workaround is somewhere in the
area of hash and object_id. As last resort i thought about implementing a
fast string->Int64 hash...