It now looks to me like the "problem" is with Python, not with PyCall; I
thought the assignment pyobj.X = X  would be by reference, but apparently
it makes a copy ?!?

Alternatively, to achieve what I want I could do
Xpy = PyArray( pyobj.X )

Now Xpy is really a reference to the array I want to manipulate.  How can I
now "reinterpret" Xpy (i.e. the block of memory) as a Julia Array, or other
Julia data structure - specifically I want a Vector of FixedSizeArray ?

Thank you.