On Friday, September 9, 2016 at 8:33:09 AM UTC-4, Christoph Ortner wrote:

> It now looks to me like the "problem" is with Python, not with PyCall; I
> thought the assignment pyobj.X = X  would be by reference, but apparently
> it makes a copy ?!?

Converting an array from Julia to Python in PyCall (e.g. by pyobject["X"] =
X) is by reference (i.e. it wraps a numpy array around the same data).
 However, converting an array from Python back to Julia defaults to making
a copy, unless you explicitly use a PyArray, as in PyArray(pyobj["X"]).

> Now Xpy is really a reference to the array I want to manipulate.  How can
> I now "reinterpret" Xpy (i.e. the block of memory) as a Julia Array, or
> other Julia data structure - specifically I want a Vector of FixedSizeArray
> ?

Why do you need an Array?   Why not just use the PyArray as-is?