Thanks. After deleting .julia/lib and restarting julia I get some warnings
before the prompt shows up:

WARNING: Method definition cgrad(Any, Any) in module PlotUtils at ~/.julia/
PlotUtils/src/color_gradients.jl:82 overwritten at ~/.julia/PlotUtils/src/
color_gradients.jl:99.
WARNING: Method definition #cgrad(Array{Any, 1}, PlotUtils.#cgrad, Any,
Any) in module PlotUtils overwritten.
WARNING: could not import Base.lastidx into LegacyStrings

Plots with PyPlot backend  now seems to work. But, I am still having some
problems with Plots. When I tried using Plots.jl with GR backend, first
time it worked. If I close the GTKTerm window that GR draws into, just
nothing happens, and occasionally I get a segfault.