On my side both function perform equally. although test2 had to be timed
twice to get to the same performance.

julia> test2(x)= sum( [t^2 for t in x] )

julia> @time test2(r)
  0.017423 seconds (13.22 k allocations: 1.339 MB)

julia> @time test2(r)
  0.000332 seconds (9 allocations: 781.531 KB)

I think the discrepancy  comes from the JITing process because if I time it
without using  the macro @time, it works from the first run.

julia> test2(x)= sum( [t^2 for t in x] )
WARNING: Method definition test2(Any) in module Main at REPL[68]:1
overwritten at REPL[71]:1.
test2 (generic function with 1 method)

julia> tic();for i=1:10000 ; test2(r);end;toc()/10000
elapsed time: 3.090764498 seconds
0.0003090764498

About the memory footprint -> test2 first constructs the inner vector then
calls sum.

since the type was not inferred the zero-element could not be created.

The sum of an empty set or vector is undefined it is not zero.
you can rewrite it in a more explicit way

test3(r) = begin
    total = Float64(0);
 for t in r total+=t ;end;end

On Thursday, September 22, 2016 at 10:50:39 PM UTC+3, Patrick Kofod
Mogensen wrote:

> I've seen the same, and the answer I got at the JuliaLang gitter channel
> was that it could not be inferred because r could be of length 0, and in
> that case, the return type could not be inferred. My Julia-fu is too weak
> to then explain why the comprehension would be able to infer the return
> type.
>
> On Thursday, September 22, 2016 at 9:27:37 PM UTC+2, Stefan Karpinski
> wrote:
>>
>> I see the same, yet:
>>
>> julia> r = rand(10^5);
>>
>> julia> @time test1(r)
>>   0.000246 seconds (7 allocations: 208 bytes)
>> 33375.54531253989
>>
>> julia> @time test2(r)
>>   0.001029 seconds (7 allocations: 781.500 KB)
>> 33375.54531253966
>>

>> So test1 is efficient, despite the codewarn output. Not sure what's up.
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 2:21 PM, Christoph Ortner <christop...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I hope that there is something I am missing, or making a mistake in the
>>> following example:
>>>
>>> r = rand(10)
>>> test1(r) = sum( t^2 for t in r )