Your question is not at all silly.  Forget about the gitbash installation
-- *remove it*.
Download the new git installer from : this web page
<https://git-scm.com/download/win> and when it has downloaded, run it.
Then open a terminal window and type `git --version`.  If you see something
meaningful, try rebuilding Nemo.
Otherwise, add the location of git.exe to your path. (if you need help with
that, ask).
And let us know what happens.