I would vote for having converters in and out of the GT Feature model as
required.  It's only really needed for I/O, right?  For other
functionality, use the raw functionality provided by GT (such as
coordinate transformations) and develop a JUMP-specific API on top of it.

One of JUMP's big strength's IMO is a clean, approachable code base.
Anything that adds complexity should be avoided at all costs - we'll be
living with it for years to come.

Sunburned Surveyor wrote:
> I thought of another possible solution to working with the two
> different feature models in GeoTools and OpenJUMP. We could have an
> object that implements both Feature interfaces. We could call the
> class ExchangeFeature or something like that. This would eliminate the
> need for a converter, but would result in some methods that do the
> same thing with slightly different names.
>
> It may not be the most elegent solution, but perhaps it is an option
> we could think about and discuss.
>
> The Sunburned Surveyor

Martin Davis
Senior Technical Architect