Hi Craig,

 Good point, however if you close the task (project) all memory is
reclaimed, so it would seem to be possible to reclaim it by removing a
layer.

Larry

On 5/21/07, A. Craig West <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Do we know if this is a problem with references being hung onto
internally, or just the standard Java VM behavior where the Java VM
normally doesn't return memory to the OS?
-Craig

On 5/21/07, Stefan Steiniger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> hei David,
>
> in case you don't know
> what sometimes can help a bit is to press the "garbage collect" button
> of the help/about/info tab
>
> but only sometimes :I
>
> stefan
>
> david alejandro garcia ortega schrieb:
> > Thanks Larry i will try to find a solution to the problem.
> >
> >  DAVID GARCIA

> >     From: /"Larry Becker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>/
> >     To: /"List for discussion of JPP development and use."
> >     <jump-pilot-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>/
> >     Subject: /Re: [JPP-Devel] Question?/
> >     Date: /Mon, 21 May 2007 11:03:03 -0500/
> >
> >     Hi David,
> >
> >       Welcome to the list.  That is an excellent question. I wish I
had
> >     an answer for you, but it is one of the unsolved problems with
JUMP
> >     (all flavors I believe).  In my tests, it is not even consistent.
> >     Sometimes removing a layer will free most of the memory, but
usually
> >     it will not.
> >
> >       There have been attempts made to fix the problem in
OpenJump.  See
> >     :

com.vividsolutions.jump.workbench.ui.plugin.RemoveSelectedLayersPlugIn