what about adopting "compatible" features like the geometries and
methods for now... and leave the rest for later? ...
I'd vote for using (and profit) much+ more (from) geotools code before
there's really a need to adopt their styles ..

just a quick thought..ede
--

> I want to ask a question about a "strategic" move for OpenJUMP. I
> thought it best to ask here, before I mention the subject on the
>
> Let me give you some background info, and then I will aske my question.
>
> A couple of weeks ago I decided that I would try to participate in
> some programming at GeoTools. My goals with this endeavor were to [1]
> become more acquainted with the GeoTools programming process and [2]
> determine what type of collaboration would be possible.
>
> I decided to do some work on adding support for GPX files in GeoTools.
> There was some existing code, but I wanted to allow low-level access
> to GPX files and also provide simple feature objects from GPX files.
>
> I was cruising along fine until it came time to implement to the
> SimpleFeature interface in GeoTools. This interface is actually from
> the GeoAPI project but is used by GeoTools.
>
> The SimpleFeature interface extends four (4) other GeoAPI interfaces
> and a total of 30 different methods. In contrast, the JUMP Feature
> interface defines only 17 methods and extends no other classes or
> interfaces.
>
> After digging into the GeoTools SimpleFeature code for a while, I have
> realized that they don't really have a "pure" simple feature
> implementation. Instead they've tried to force fit their complex
> feature model into a simple feature interface. This is very akward for
> me. For example, the implementer of SimpleFeature must implement
> several methods that really seem to belong to SimpleFeatureType, which
> is similar to JUMP's FeatureSchema.
>
> Here is my question:
>
> Is it worth trying to address the complexity in the GeoTools
> SimpleFeature interface and related code, or should I focus my energy
> on extracting and maintaining a very lightweight library with the
> simple feature code from JUMP? (This would be a small JAR containing
> the Feature interface, FeatuerSchema, interface, AbstractFeature class
> and maybe a couple of other related classes.)
>
> This may seem like an unimportant question, but I think it is more
> important over the long term. Let me briefly explain why:
>
> GeoTools has been set up as the "flagship" of open source Java GIS
> collaboration. I believe it will be the project most people go to when
> looking for a simple feature implementation to use in their own
> projects. This isn't a bad thing if GeoTools is willing to address
> issues of complexity or is willing to include a module with a "pure"
> simple feature implementation that would be more compatible with
> OpenJUMP. This would allow us to become a participant in GeoTools
> development and tap into the outside interest for a simple feature
> implementation.
>
> If this is not possible, I really think it would be prudent of us to
> maintain a small library that could be used by other parties outside
> of OpenJUMP for projects that require a simple feature implementation.
> This would be set up as an alternative to the simple feature
> [...]

public class WhoDidIt{ // A comment. I love comments
  private static Person sender;

  public static void main (String[] foo){

  sender = new Person();
  sender.setName(new String[]{"Edgar", "Soldin"});

  Address address = new Address();
  address.setStreet("Stadtweg 119");
  address.setZip(39116);
  address.setCity("Magdeburg");
  address.setCountry("Germany");

  sender.setAddress(address);

  sender.setMobilePhone(" +49(0)171-2782880 ");
  sender.setWebSiteUrl(" http://www.soldin.de ");
  sender.setEmail(" [EMAIL PROTECTED] ");
  sender.setPGPPublicKey(" http://www.soldin.de/edgar_soldin.asc ");
  sender.setGender(true);