Thanks Michael.  You have a good point about attributes with the same name
but of different type.  The code will currently use the type of the first
one it finds, and refuse to copy over any with a different type.  I have
code in other plugins which does type conversion of attributes, but I would
imagine that a better solution would be adding a suffix as you suggested and
not mixing them.  Not copying over the Layer name in case of conflict is
just a bug that I will fix.

regards,
Larry