Based on input from Jukka, I have agreed to work on a function that will
allow the user to define a custom draw tool.  The basic use case for this
tool is to make it easier to enter special features while in the field.  I
think the example he gave was entering the location of trees, utility poles,
& etc. while stream digitizing some other feature like a road using GPS.
What this seems to require is a function on the Customize menu that will put
up a dialog that will allow the user to specify custom draw tools to be
added to the toolbox.  It could include options for geometry type, default
layer, default attribute (name, type, and value), and others to be defined.
I have already modified the LineString tool to allow continuation of
interrupted digitizing sessions, so this function should make it possible.

I have the basic code to do this already used by the Jython toolbox
(attached).  I just need to create the customization dialog and some glue
code.  Before I get started, I thought I would through it open for
suggestions.  Additional use cases would be helpful.

Of course, I expect that a simple example tool would help with this process.
Here is a (Jython) example of how the code is currently used to create a two
point line tool:

lineTool = DrawCustomTool(featureDrawingUtil, maxClicks = 2, toolName =
"Line Tool", geometryType = "linestring")
toolbox.add(featureDrawingUtil.prepare(lineTool, 1))

To make more complex custom tools, Jython code is needed.  However,
BeanShell script could be used just as well.

regards,
http://amusingprogrammer.blogspot.com/