Hi Michaël,

We need to track modifications on a per-feature basis because it is
> necessary to update a database source when a modification is done in the
> OJ UI : right/wrong

Right.

You propose to track modification on each attribute individually because
> you don't want to update a whole database record if a single attribute
> is changed : right/wrong

Wrong.  Tracking individual attribute modification is necessary to determine
if the call to setAttribute is an initial load or a modification.  No one
has yet demonstrated how a simpler (i.e. boolean flag) would be able to
track a modification.  The pattern of use for Features is: create feature,
initialize feature, and later possibly modify feature.  Initialization
involves multiple calls to setAttribute.

- I'm not sure why it is needed to differentiate first modification from
> other modifications

First modification is when you load the initial value (say from a
shapefile).  This isn't modification as we need to define it.

> - why not a byte instead of a int to save memory usage if boolean is not
> sufficient ?

A byte would be sufficient.  Actually we only need to count to two if java
has some kind of subrange integer capability?

Larry