Java has a built-in JavaHelp system that is HTML based. It seems to
work well, and there are some extensions that have been written for
it:

http://jhelpdev.sourceforge.net/
http://www.mk-home.de/jhelpaction.html

I've used this program before, and I know it works.

I always thought it would be cool if we could integrate JavaHelp into OpenJUMP.

The Sunburned Surveyor