Yeah, it seems to me that I haven't seen much speed impact from
rendering fairly large linestrings.  I suppose it's possible that if the
linestring was really complex the intersection() computation might be
slow, however.

In any case, computing a full intersection() is definitely doing more
work than required for rendering.  So this would be a good thing to
optimize.  It's one of those things which isn't necessarily all that
noticeable, but is quietly burning cycles all the time.