Matthias Scholz wrote:

> > this looks almost good. Did you enter the complete GetCapabilities
> > request when trying to load the layer? You should leave the
> > GetCapabilities parameters off, since they're added
> > automatically. Example: load the layer using
> > http://localhost:8080/geoserver/ows
> >
> This is the solution :-) I've allways used the complete
> GetCapabilities
> request as a copy from the link in the geoserver webinterface.

Hi,

Now I believe that we have finally enough information about what went
wrong with the save and open project.
My URL-encoding problems had to be a false alarm because of using an
outdated OJ version. I will check that againg later and if a fresh
OpenJUMP works right on my laptop I will comment my bug report as
already solved.

But the real issue is in saving the GetMap URL into OpenJUMP project
file. When connecting Geoserver with URL
http://localhost:8080/geoserver/ows?request=getcapabilities&;
OpenJUMP is reading the GetMap URL from GetCapabilities and asks user if
it should be used instead. That url is
http://localhost:8080/geoserver/wms?SERVICE=WMS

If user is pressing Yes then this GetMap URL will be used for further
communication and it works. SERVICE=WMS will now be included twise it
the requests but is does not matter. I suppose that Geoserver folks have
meant that the GetMap URL is
http://localhost:8080/geoserver/ows?SERVICE=WMS, in that case adding
service parameter makes sense.

Now what is going wrong is that OpenJUMP is saving the original
connection URL into the project file as

<server-url>http://localhost:8080/geoserver/ows?request=getcapabilities&;
amp;</server-url>

If the project is reopened OpenJUMP does not ask again if the GetMap url
from the GetCapabilities should be used.

I don't know what to do. The most proper solution might be to save both
the GetCapabilities url and GetMap url into the project file.  With
deegree plugin which supports GetFeatureInfo even GetFeatureInfo url
might be saved. A light weight
solution is to write some "Known issue" thing that informs users that
project file keeps only the GetCapabilities url and there will be
problems with WMS services which are using a different base url for
GetMaps.

-Jukka Rahkonen-