On 28.10.2010 10:22, Michaël Michaud wrote:
>> - I do not need Visibility function in the context menu (it faster to use
>> the checkbox in the layer list (it can be moved to the menu bar)
> I think the context menu is more confortable if you have to change the
> visibility for many layers.

this could be circumvented by making the checkbox befor the layers selection
aware .. easy to do and one point less in the context menu ..

>> from my users side of view I can say that I use context menu, button and
>> also EZ-Buttons...it depends on the functions I want to use and what I can
>> reach faster. But this should be the difficult thing becuase every users
>> works in a different way as I realzied it from how my collegues work with
>> OJ. So the best solution should be a user adaptable (contex)menu/button
>> toolbar...but this should be a very difficult development.
> and I wonder it is worthwhile. I know from my own experience that when
> there are several ways to achieve a task, the one I use is not always
> the best. Just the option that I discovered first or that has been shown

Generally it makes sense to "train" users by providing an intuitively
understandable way of distributing functionality over the UI.
It helps if a functionality is only available at one point in the UI to avoid
confusion.

I'd suggest to take this issue as a reason to cleanup and reorder the context
menu.
- Look for doubled entries and decide to put them only in Layer or context menu.
- Group similar items together (e.g. editable, selectable, viewable)
- separate different groups by lines to enhance usablity (less groups=less
lines)

..ede