Hi,

I suppose those clients are all using either geotools, deegree of ogr
internally but I am not sure. Somehow I feel that Geotools might suit OpenJUMP
but I am not a developer but just a user.

Reading GML is not the biggest problem with WFS any longer. Some programs may
not know what to do with some data types, like xs:short or xs:long. Some may
forget to initialize the attribute table with all the attributes which included
in the schema if the first record in the GML part does not contain all the
attributes and so on but there are less and less pure parsing errors.

Biggest troubles seem to be now with WFS 1.1.0 and GML3 and the axis order.
There cannot be a single software in the world handling all the cases
correctly. Nor a single person who can say how they really should behave.  Axis
order trouble reflects to building correct spatial filters, which seems to be
difficult to do in such a way that all different WFS servers accepts them even
with coordinate systems like UTM which do not suffer from the axis order mess.
Even adding a bounding box into GML3 filter can lead to failure because there
are ridicuosly many ways to do it.

I feel that WFS 1.0.0 with GML2 was still a relatively simple and usable
standard. Unfortunately nobody cares to correct the remaining troubles with it
because there are versions 1.1.0 an 2.0.0 around and those are requirement for
the Inspire datasets, for example. There must be new troubles to come with
application schemas (instead of simple feature ones) and things like real GML3
curves etc.

Some WFS servers can deliver data also in other formats than GML. It is
allowed, but as you wrote, a really good alternative is missing. Shapefiles
with geometry type limitation and short field names etc. are not at all ideal
and I suppose that Geojson is not featurerich enough.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Martin Davis wrote:

> If all those other platforms are able to handle WFS reasonably well,
> that seems to take the wind out of my statement that GML is
> too hard to
> implement!  Perhaps some of them are implementing a sane
> subset of GML,
> which would be easier to implement.  I suspect there's an 80-20
> situation here, where most WFS servers are only serving up fairly
> straightforward GML.  (Seems like you still need to parse the schema,
> though, which is hard to see how that could be made simple).
>
> It would be nice to look at the implementations, and follow whichever
> one looks easiest for OJ as well.
>
> But in general I share your frustration about GML.  It
> originally seemed
> like the answer to an open spatial format standard, but the
> complexity
> of it is a huge barrier to entry.  (In my wilder moments I
> daydream that
> It would be nice if the open-source geospatial world got together to
> define a new standard format which would be more practical to
> implement.!)
>
> Martin
>
> On 8/18/2011 7:21 AM, Rahkonen Jukka wrote:
> > Hi Martin,
> >
> > I just get frustrated every now and then with WFS and GML.
> It is so simple to get for example the railways from WFS with
> >
> http://188.64.1.61/cgi-bin/tinyows?service=wfs&version=1.0.0&r
equest=GetFeature&typename=lv:mml_railway