On 17.09.2011 15:23, Rahkonen Jukka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been testing with the nightly one since yesterday morning.
>
> With my Vista no combination shows ECW image with jre 1.6.0_27 or 1.7.0.
> GvSIG binaries 1.10 and 1.11 do work if I have jre 1.6.0_23.  I have not
> tried with 1.6.0 updates 24, 24 or 26.

what was the exact error?
do you say 1.10,1.11 did not work for you reliably with vista and jdks 1.6 & 7?

> The ermapper.jar + "original" ecw-dlls are working OK with all Java versions
> I have tried both on XP and Vista. The speed is good. I remember there was
> some trouble with zooming outside the edge of the ECW image area but right
> now I could not repeat that error.

this is really a reason to keep them. true.

as far as i understand the new 0.0.7 adds some sort of compressed ecw support
and is faster. but i can't judge that.

> I think that we should have a really good reason for taking the new jecw.jar
> system as a standard for Windows delivery if it brings together the nasty
> operating system - jre version - dll version dependency.

it starts with linux, because we cannot have ermapper.jar & jecw-0.0.7.jar both
in libs. they contain conflicting class definitions, so we would have to route
that as well.
i'd argue we should give oj users to read ecw files.

>It is practically impossible for normal users to get and install old jre
>versions. I believe it is only possible through the Oracle Technology Network
>after creating an account, and installing the exe file requires Windows admin
>rights.

since sun was oracled it is not that easy to find anymore but still there for
everybody e.g.
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javasebusiness/downloads/java-archive-downloads-javase5-419410.html
find this under
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
click 'previous releases' on top, on the following page find 'Archived releases'

because oracle changes the pages so much i usually google 'java jdk' or 'java
se' and the correct downloads page is found.

i hear that it does not work for you but i am sure we are on the right way. i
am also sure that there are no java version issues here, except of jdk5 does
not show any problems. during my tests all java 6/7 behaved identical.

i will test on vista32/64 here and come back with results.

ede