________________________________
Michaël Michaud wrote:

> Another idea would be to have a user-defined information just beside the
> mouse (like a moving tooltip).
> A menu would make it possible to display either one of
> - coordinates
> - pixel value / altitude taken from a raster layer
> - azimuth
> - angle
>  - length (+ total)
> - area

> just a thought, as I don't use edition tools myself.

Such tooltip is pretty handy when digitising because user does not need to move
eyes from the working area into status bar. However, the box is also covering
the map and therefore it should be located some short distance apart from the
tooltip and the size of the box should be as small as possible for showing the
necessary information. Box usually does not need to show all available decimals
and angles should not be shown if user wants to see jus X and Y. We used to
have such a tooltip in one application and it was tailored for a certain
purpose but a general tooltip tool might have selections for

- check boxes for the measures to be shown
- count of decimal places (and areas must be rounded, not truncated then!)
- if units and names of the measures are shown or not;
- perhaps setting for the transparency of the tooltip info box background

-Jukka Rahkonen-