Hi,
Hmm, sourceforge autoblocked my first reply attempt (from gmail, no less). Anyone else having issues.

Thanks for the quick reply Michaël.

    Is Copy Select Elements to New Layer the same as OpenJUMP's
    ReplicateSelectedItemsPlugIn (org.openjump.core.ui.plugin.edit) ?

ReplicateSelectedItemsPlugIn (yours, I think)
From Stefan actually,
has more sophisticated checking for different schema on multiple layers, but it would need to be modified to support external invocation from another plugin (not hard), or I could just inline the needed code in Orthogonalize.
If it is small, inline maybe fine. I just draw your attention because having several classes and/or plugins doing almost the same thing is difficult to maintain.

    There is now a kml parser in JTS...

That is good news. The one I wrote is based on the JUMP GML parser. It doesn't support hierarchical geometries (you'd think this would be easy, but I didn't find it to be).
Sorry for the misleading. JTS as in fact GML parser, not KML (don't know the gap between both formats for geometry).
http://tsusiatsoftware.net/jts/javadoc/com/vividsolutions/jts/io/gml2/GMLHandler.html

But still, it may be worthwhile using it to simplify maintenance.

Michaël

thanks,

Larry