finally my 2 cents:

with the sextante toolbox you can do some of that stuff in OJ as well.
At least I used Sextantes contouring functions on (pseudo) DEMs to
create home range polygons for animal movement data (with the HoRAE
toolbox for OJ).

However, when I prepared recently maps with hillshade and color ramps
for TileMill (i.e. for our web maps) I used gdal as well and followed
those instructions:

http://mapbox.com/tilemill/docs/guides/terrain-data/

except that I adjusted the color ramp for our area.
...In case Jukka hasn't seen it yet - though I bet ;)

cheers,
stefan