Hi,

Zooming and panning are needed all the time when digitising and therefore I
keep left hand fingers on Alt and Shift keys. There should be a good reason for
changing the current Alt, Alt/Shift and Ctrl shortcuts. Z, S and and M would be
easier to remember for new users but on the other hand Z and M far apart on the
keyboard and hard to find without looking at your fingers. Z launching the
Matthias zoom might be good for digitising. Box zoom is missed but one
easy-to-remember key for pan and zoom would be an advantage.

-Jukka-
Michaël Michaud wrote:

Hi,
> On 19.12.2012 09:09, Michaël Michaud wrote:
>> Hi
>>> we could abstain from global metakey shortcuts and move to select tool via
>>> shortcut and use it then. like e.g. photoshop does
>>> http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/keyboard-shortcut-for-photoshop-cs2-toolsbox/
>>>
>>> s - could toggle through select modes
>>> v - vertex tools
>>> m - move
>>>
>>> it it worked until now then because the tools were simple enough and didn't
>>> need extra modifiers.
>> This is also a solution I have considered (but probably needing more work).
>> Maybe we should keep the metakeys for global switch
>> between editing tools / selection / zoom
>> and use normal keys for specific editing operations.
>> Would it be possible ?
>>
> rather unorthodox but also possible.. make the "essential" keyboard shortcuts
> meta key free meaning using a letter key instead e.g.
>
> Z + left/right click = Zoom in/out
> S(+SHIFT) + click = Select(add)
> etc...
I think it would be good to keep CTRL and ALT as shortcuts to select and
zoom tools (maybe switching from old zoom tool to new mathias zoom tool
to get also the pan) and use single letters (without meta-key if
possible for specific editing operations).
What do you think ?

Michaël