From: Giuseppe Aruta <giuseppe_ar...@yahoo.it>
Subject: Re: [JPP-Devel] PLUG INS>TOPOLOGY>Project Point on LINE (Orthogonal
Projection would be useful in making of geological section)
To: "OpenJump develop and use" <jump-pilot-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Date: Tuesday, January 1, 2013, 3:39 AM

I try to clarify Praveen's question. Points on geological maps are manu
things,included strike/deep of geological layers. Those layers are  often
inclined comparing to the vertical. Each point expresses two datas: the deep
(how many degrees the layer is inclined) and the deepdirection (which is
basically the azimuth referencing North). If you consider the geological layer,
this intersects the horizon layer to a line, perpendicular to the deep
direction, which is called Strike:Basically a POINT geological layer schema has
minimim 4 attributes: DEEP (how many degrees is inclined to the horizontal
plane), DEEP DIRECTION (whic is the direction of the deep), STRIKE
(perpendicular to DEEP DIRECTION, thedirection (clockwise) of the line
intersectrion of geololgical layer with the horizontal layer), TYPE (the tipe
of information, not imnpoetant for this discussion)
Now Project Points plugin allows to project point datas perpendicular to the
line, while on a geological section points (layers) have to be projected
according to the intersection of the strike line and the target line.
I hope I was clear (after a glass of red wine:happy new year to all OJ-nautes!!)
Peppe