Hi,
> 'undoable delete' will always cost memory, except we'll dump it to disk
> (let's not) .. but i am thinking from a user perspective here and users tend
> to not to want to know but expect certain comforts like undoability.. todays
> workflow tends to be more experimental. trial, error, undo...
Everybody like to be comfortable, but let's have a look at the bill.
We must pay attention not to make it worst.
> so i'd kind of heavily vote to have it undoable.
I'm OK for an experimental feature after 1.6 release.
(but not convinced I'll buy it)

If we really identify two real usage, one way to work-around
could be to implement a "delete selected layer (undoable)" AND a
"delete selected layer (definitive)"...
>> (and in case we want to persist
>> deleted layers, we have to make sure that performance is not a bottleneck).
> what about fixing it and seeing how it goes? taking it step by step. i am not
> sure everybody is working extra huge layers all the time.
let's see after 1.6 release. It seems that it can take some time before
we find and implement the best solution.

Michaël