Sergio,

after my latest modifications OJ is pretty close to what you described over at
OJ user list as

> - Kosmo Desktop 3.0 final will use the improved gvSIG CE raster framework:
> all the raster formats are read directly using GDAL libraries only (instead
> of a custom JNI binding, it uses official GDAL Java JNI bindings). ECW /
> MrSID / JPG2000 formats require building GDAL with support for them. This new
> approach will allow us to be able to read raster files with GDAL 32 and 64
> bits binaries.

well, except the "gvSIG CE raster framework" of course. but generally the new
Referenced Image reader uses

- ImageIO readers
- JAI.create("ImageRead",...)
- and more JAI.create() call to create a proper renderchain

the beautiful thing about this approach is: we can use any ImageReaderSpi
registered. so simply adding ImageIO Ext jars e.g. does supply us with more
formats, incl. GDAL (JP2k,ECW,NITF lots...), provided the native libs are in
the path etc.

i already set up 'kd_3.0rc1_src.zip' in eclipse, but loading images in a debug
run fails (weird tree lock error). ok, just tried again, running with jre6, et
voila. now i can debug :)

two questions:

A. as your this is not your latest development. where can i find the
development svn, to debug your latest state of the art code?
B. how did you manage taht the first load of e.g.
 http://datastore.hri.fi/Helsinki/kuvat/Helsinki_orto_1943.zip
is nearly instant?

..thanks ede