Hi Larry,
I was using "intersect", and I tried "crosses", but that didn't work. I'm taking a look at relate now, although I'm having a hard time deciphering DE-9IM.
I agree it is not very intuitive.
To solve the problem for homogeneous geometries (same dimension), I would try the folowing - for linestring : create relation if linestrings intersect in any way to try to have different colors either if lines touch, cross or overlap each other - for polygons : create relation if polygon interiors intersect in any way (overlap, include, is included : |T********|) or if boundaries intersection has dimension 1 (|****1****|), excluding polygons touching at one or several points.
For heterogeneous geometries, intersects is probably a good guess

...until Jukka find a counter-example :-)

Michaël

 -lreeder