Hi,

>> Layer context menu has been changed a few month ago,
>> but I don't understand the rational
>>
>> we now have :
>>
>> - Cut Selected Layers
>> - Copy Selected Layers
>> - Paste Items
>> - Combine Selected Layers
>> *****
>> - Remove Selected Layers
>> - Delete All Features
>> *****
>> *****
>> Add New Features
>> Select Current Layer Items
>>
>> Questions / proposition for the defult plugins configuration
>> 1 ) Is there a difference between Cut and Remove Selected Layers
>> (I'm used to the remove symbol and did not notice the cut plugin)
> there is, cut keeps them in clipboard so you can paste. remove just deletes
> them.
I see. OK to keep "Remove Selected Layers" apart.
May be we should find a name to guide the user to the right tool.
- Cut Selected Layers
- Remove Selected Layers (not undoable)

>> 2) Could we gather layer plugins and feature plugins together
>> - Remove Selected Layers
>> - Copy Selected Layers
>> - Combine Selected Layers
>> *****
>> - Add New Features
>> - Paste *Features*
>> - Delete All Features
>> - Select *All* Features
>>
> yes, but that would be highly unusual. 'cut/copy/paste' are standard edit
> routines, which are grouped together in the edit menu of every software i
> know.
Yes, but don't mix "paste items" with "paste layer" which is a Category
context menu item.
We don't use to see cut/copy/paste grouped when they are not about the
exact same kind of
object.
>   usually they are followed by 'delete'.
> i took the liberty to separate 'delete', just to visualize that this is a
> destructive edit.
  I don't follow you... which plugin are you talking about ?

> also, from a usability standpoint, menus should be as similar as possible so
> users get used the order of entries and do not need to look around. for
> example -
> ideally the 'Edit' menu should have the same entries as the
> 'LayerView'-context menu.
> the 'Layer' menu the same as the 'LayerTree'-context menu.
Understand, but it is an argument to not group "paste items" with
cut/copy layers ;-)

It is also an argument to group "delete all features" with other feature
edit action like
"add new feature", but I understand that destructive operations should
not be put anywhere,
and that it may be a good idea to keep remove layer and delete items
together.

Maybe the only suggestion to keep from my initial proposition is to move
"paste items"
after "select current layer items"

Michaƫl