On 18.12.2014 19:49, Michael Michaud wrote:
> Hi,
>>
>>> Layer context menu has been changed a few month ago,
>>> but I don't understand the rational
>>>
>>> we now have :
>>>
>>> - Cut Selected Layers
>>> - Copy Selected Layers
>>> - Paste Items
>>> - Combine Selected Layers
>>> *****
>>> - Remove Selected Layers
>>> - Delete All Features
>>> *****
>>> *****
>>> Add New Features
>>> Select Current Layer Items
>>>
>>> Questions / proposition for the defult plugins configuration
>>> 1 ) Is there a difference between Cut and Remove Selected Layers
>>> (I'm used to the remove symbol and did not notice the cut plugin)
>> there is, cut keeps them in clipboard so you can paste. remove just deletes
>> them.
> I see. OK to keep "Remove Selected Layers" apart.
> May be we should find a name to guide the user to the right tool.
> - Cut Selected Layers
> - Remove Selected Layers (not undoable)

cut and remove are pretty distinctive and widely used. wrt. to the undoability
- i'd rather have a switch implemented (undo for layer deletion) than a note in
parenthesis everywhere where layers get removed.

>>> 2) Could we gather layer plugins and feature plugins together
>>> - Remove Selected Layers
>>> - Copy Selected Layers
>>> - Combine Selected Layers
>>> *****
>>> - Add New Features
>>> - Paste *Features*
>>> - Delete All Features
>>> - Select *All* Features
>>>
>> yes, but that would be highly unusual. 'cut/copy/paste' are standard edit
>> routines, which are grouped together in the edit menu of every software i
>> know.
> Yes, but don't mix "paste items" with "paste layer" which is a Category
> context menu item.

ok, my mistake, thought you were stil talking about the layerview context menu.
ok, you switched to the layertree context menu.

> We don't use to see cut/copy/paste grouped when they are not about the
> exact same kind of
> object.

well, we do.. checkeg. your windows explorer context menu on a folder. cut/copy
acts on the folder, insert puts files/folders into that folder.

>>   usually they are followed by 'delete'.
>> i took the liberty to separate 'delete', just to visualize that this is a
>> destructive edit.
>   I don't follow you... which plugin are you talking about ?

that would be remove selected layers then

>> also, from a usability standpoint, menus should be as similar as possible so
>> users get used the order of entries and do not need to look around. for
>> example -
>> ideally the 'Edit' menu should have the same entries as the
>> 'LayerView'-context menu.
>> the 'Layer' menu the same as the 'LayerTree'-context menu.
> Understand, but it is an argument to not group "paste items" with
> cut/copy layers ;-)

i really don't see the harm..

> It is also an argument to group "delete all features" with other feature
> edit action like
> "add new feature", but I understand that destructive operations should
> not be put anywhere,
> and that it may be a good idea to keep remove layer and delete items
> together.

+1 for deletion group separation

> Maybe the only suggestion to keep from my initial proposition is to move
> "paste items"
> after "select current layer items"

-1 ..paste items is a pretty important action and should be treated as such.
i'd agree to move it above copy/cut though.

..ede