Hi Ede,
it works fine. I was able to cut a selected part of the image. And also I
tested on some simple  tools form Sextante that generate raster (Rasterize
a vector layer, change no data value..).
Let us wait for Roberto's test. I think that it is fixed. Also it is nice
to reduce time raster display reusing a renderedOp cache mapping.
The "colors" look different because a dem raster, with only one band, is
painted using a set of grey values between black and white for each cell
value. Those values are defined by the range of the cell values.  The
partial raster generated by the extracting tool has, of coarse, a different
range of values compared to the original dem. That's why the different
greys.
It is a way to graphically represent a group of datas (generally elevation
but also slope values, quantity of rain, insolation, etc) distributed (or
better reconstructed) as a grid on a surface.
Of course we can change the color schema (via Layer tree, Raster Style) and
we can omologate two rasters, with different ranges of values to the same
color schema (saving a color schema of one and importing it into the
second, always using via Layer tree, Raster Style).
Very good job, Ede! I think, if no other problem came from Sextante tools
(and Roberto agree), this version will be used in the course.
Thanks again
Peppe