On 9/29/2020 13:00, Michaud Michael wrote:
> Hi,
>
> OJ can't support multiple geometries and it would be a difficult task to make
> this change.

well, in theory it can. the model as is merely limits geometry to be _only one_
of the attributes. as Geometry is a proper attribute type we can easily add
more than one, they won't be displayed though ;)

> Object type can be used

how about a new BLOB attribute type, signifying that the column contains plain
bytes, in case blobs are delivered by the underlying data reader?

> - to preserve original data as much as possible, but will generally not
> survive
> a complete roundtrip (maybe a more specific serialization format could achieve
> this goal, but with format like shapefile, we will rapidly encounter the 255
> char problem).

if it is not saveable w/o data loss the write should simply err out and give
the user a chance to save it another way. as much as i understand the industry
standardness of the shapefile format, we shouldn't strive to make it limiting
factor for OJ data formats.

> - to offer plugin developpers a way to store structured data for in-memory
> usage
> (e.g. multiscale display as suggested by Jukka). I'm not aware of a concrete
> use-case though.

watcha mean by "structured data for in-memory usage" ?.. ede