It is a fair question, and the blanket policy of not supporting any third party components makes sense for the company; this policy rarely presents an issue in the real world as long as the support issue is not related to the third party component.

However, lets just take one example to show how 3rd party components can present a challenge to JTAC/support: Third party SFPs work just fine in the E-series GE line modules, however upon reloading the line card, the BPOST fails, and there is no indication of what the issue is unless you console the line module and watch the POST messages.

The policy should not get in the way if you upgraded your RAM in your RE and you have a IPv6 forwarding problem in the PFE, or a flapping interface, for example.

Truman