On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 07:59:52AM -0700, Bill Blackford wrote:
> I'm a bit confused on the current versioning train. I have 9.4R1.8 running on
> my 3200's. People have posted on this list stating that the latest is the
> greatest with the EX series being so new and all. With that strategy in mind,
> I'm getting ready to upgrade the latest 9.5. Yesterday, my Juniper rep sent
> me a notification about 9.3S1.6. This seems to be a special release and
> perhaps outside of the standard train.
>
> Now, do I back rev to this one or do I wait for a 9.4 or even 9.5 version to
> come out?

It depends on wether you need 9.4 features.  If not, the 9.3S1.6 is
said to fix a number of issues.

> <rant>
> My other concern is that I seriously hope that Juniper isn't going down the
> path that Cisco chose to support an endless serious of code forks and thusly
> creating a Winchester House labyrinth of JUNOS choices.
> </rant>

I have so far never seen old bugs show up again in Juniper code, as I
have seen with another vendor.  Also, I think the fixes in the S
releases will be incorporated in all regular releases.  The S release
is not a new branch, but a service release, in between regular
releases.

Kari