To: <juniper-nsp@puck.nether.net>
Sent: Friday, March 26, 2010 4:32 AM
Subject: [j-nsp] JunOS temperature readings

Hello,

I am currently looking into an issue where we are getting temperature alerts on a variety of different JunOS devices within one of our facilities. Unfortunately when I go to track down the changes all the switches are running at under 40c which is within the thresholds yet we still get alerts.

jstew...@junos Switch> show chassis temperature-thresholds
                          Fan speed        Yellow alarm         Red alarm
Item Normal High Normal Bad fan Normal Bad fan FPC 0 CPU 60 70 80 70 95 85 FPC 0 EX-PFE1 60 70 80 70 95 85 FPC 0 EX-PFE2 60 70 80 70 95 85 FPC 0 EX-PFE3 60 70 80 70 95 85 FPC 0 GEPHY Front Left 60 70 80 70 95 85 FPC 0 GEPHY Front Middle 60 70 80 70 95 85 FPC 0 GEPHY Front Right 60 70 80 70 95 85 FPC 0 Uplink Conn 60 70 80 70 95 85

{master:0}
jstew...@junos Switch> show chassis environment
Class Item                           Status     Measurement
Power FPC 0 Power Supply 0           OK
     FPC 0 Power Supply 1           OK
Temp FPC 0 CPU OK 38 degrees C / 100 degrees F FPC 0 EX-PFE1 OK 39 degrees C / 102 degrees F FPC 0 EX-PFE2 OK 50 degrees C / 122 degrees F FPC 0 EX-PFE3 OK 45 degrees C / 113 degrees F
     FPC 0 GEPHY Front Left         OK         20 degrees C / 68 degrees F
     FPC 0 GEPHY Front Middle       OK         27 degrees C / 80 degrees F
     FPC 0 GEPHY Front Right        OK         29 degrees C / 84 degrees F
     FPC 0 Uplink Conn              OK         28 degrees C / 82 degrees F
Fans  FPC 0 Fan 1                    OK         Spinning at normal speed
     FPC 0 Fan 2                    OK         Spinning at normal speed
     FPC 0 Fan 3                    OK         Spinning at normal speed

{master:0}

jstew...@junos Switch> show chassis alarms
No alarms currently active

I am interested to know if anyone has anything similar? Also is it possible to set the thresholds?

Regards,

Jimmy Stewpot