I a previous job we lacked the identical (juniper) hardware mix in the
lab that we had in the field (mx480s and srx 5600s are expensive). So
for some upgrades things ran fine or were easy to identify, but there
were failure cases whereas we tripped over hardware/software
interactions in the field that we were not previously or subsequently
able to replicate.

in terms of being bleeding edge, when the hardware platform being
adobted is new there's often no alternative... Also it's been about a
decade and a half since people paid the price for having 6 month
validation cycles on cisco code, so you are at some point going to run
something that you haven't had as much confidence with as you'd like.