On 07/01/12 15:50, Salman Zahid wrote:
> 2.      In terms of 3rd party optics support , we are evaluating the support
> for 3rd party optics . Please continue to check the Juniper documentation and
> talk to your account team for roadmap information .

My ire has cooled considerably since reading this statement yesterday,
so here's an attempt at a sane response.

Nobody is asking Juniper to *support* third party optics, they never
have before. All we want is, that like all other Juniper products to
date (that I'm aware of) that third party optics work, and have feature
parity.

If you're so worried about latency within a Qfabic making Juniper
branded (because I'll bet they're not even a special run, let alone
special model) optics required on the internal side of a fabric is
annoying, but not all that objectionable. There's also nothing wrong
with WONTFIXing latency tickets if the path is not 100% Juniper optics,
much as other issues with third party optics are handled today.

To lock third party optics out you had to *add* code to JunOS, remember
that.

Even ignoring common optic types (SR, LR, etc) there's still plenty of
reasons to want third party optics, passive C/DWDM is just the start,
RAD's [TE][13] SFP modules are another type that Juniper just don't offer.