I don't have any experience the the large EXs, but is there a chance you don't have enough power to the chassis to bring the line cards online? I know the larger MXs require a certain number of supplies and IIRC certain supplies power certain slots. So if you just have one supply plugged into 120VAC it may not bring the line cards online.