Depends on the vendor and the application.  This is probably a more true
statement with Juniper than Cisco because there is so much used Cisco out there
that you could buy a large router of similar size and all the spare parts you
want far less expensively than buying the hardware new even with deep discounts.

Juniper gear can be more rare and as a result cost more on the used market or
you may not find the MX-480 used at all with out looking.  I do know for
example if you don’t mind ordering out of Poland or other European countries
that Juniper gear can be had for 10 cents on the dollar and again even with
spares that’s hard to beat.  Depends on how many years you need to catch up on
the service contract side and a lot of factors.