hey,

The issue with such "well, that sounds easy" solutions is what it
does to system scale.  In the days of 2G 32-bit RPD, the addition of
a single*word*  (4 bytes) to the route data structures was reason for
massive freak-out.  Even in 3G 32-bit RPD, it's problematic.

We're now in the land of 64-bit RPD as an option.

Slightly related and I totally accept if you can't/want to answer...

Do you have any plans how to dig yourself out from the current monolithic RPD and non-SMP enabled kernel hole? Maybe move to linux userland altogether? Virtualizing fbsd on top of linux doesn't necessarily make things better.

--
tarko