> This issue is my turning up new MX960's that are simply connected together
> with Ciena 6500 DWDM.... for me to have an MTU issue via DWDM is actually a
> surprise to me.  I pretty much always envisioned wave/lamda dwdm as darn near
> like having an actual fiber cable... no, not the case apparently... I'm
> surprised that the ciena dwdm service in this case is actually imposing an
> Ethernet mtu limitation !  wow, the more I think on it, the more I'm
> surprised about it... previously my older asr9k 15-node mpls ring was via
> fujitsu flashwave dwdm and I don't recall this occurring

DWDM is kind of agnostic in the core but for packet networks there are
OTU frames (max size = 16,320 bytes) and there is also the interface
line card that imposes the actual MTU for the Ethernet interface (9600
is a well-known value for DWDM networks). If you have, say, a 100G
transponder and a 10x10G line card then you have to frame all those
ports, they won't become light as 10G channels. Even 10G channels on a
regular 10G non-coherent network must be framed for FEC and everything
else.

If you have a colored interface directly from your router to the DWDM
system then you might skip that limitation (that depends on the
platform and linecard configuration).

Luis