Hi Jeff,

Thanks so much for your detailed explanation and invitation to comment. I look
forward to some configurable option(s) wrt to route age timers.

Jeff> But people on older boxes that find their memory signature gets knocked
over the edge for something they don't require get... cranky.

Ahah, yes. :)

Jeff> The motivations for the change was to permit all changes impacting route
properties to be reflected in the route's age.  This is very useful for
troubleshooting, such as the resolver, policy, etc.

And that’s very good information to have.

Jeff> Thus, a knob is being considered to have both the "only on-the-wire"
impact or the "whenever the route's properties change" impact.

Can I suggest a knob with three options – the two you mention, plus an option
to maintain /both/ timers? If that’s not feasible (for reasons you already
eluded), so be it.

My preference is indeed for ‘best of both’.

Jeff> The question being: What's the default?

As you indicated, quite a few folk on older hardware will be sensitive to
resource impacts.

I suggest the default should be on-the-wire as this incurs the minimal CPU hit,
as I understand it.

1.       On-the-wire BGP updates will incur BGP route processing penalties in
any case – this CPU cost is unavoidable.

2.       Route property changes will be at least as frequent as BGP updates,
but possibly more frequent, so could consume more CPU cycles than are necessary.

3.       Maintaining both timers has a CPU and RAM cost I’m very happy to pay.
:)

I’ve flagged this thread to my colleagues in GÉANT and invited them to chime
in, however I can say with confidence ‘best of both’ is something we’d enable
if it were available to us.

Best regards,

Niall